Kindle Fire Cyber Monday Deal – BAD Deal or GOOD Cyber Monday 2012 Deal?Featured, Shopping Monday, November 26th, 2012
As we mentioned earlier, as of November 26th Cyber Monday, there is a huge Cyber Monday Kindle Fire Deal live right now as of 11am Cyber Monday 2012. This is awesome news for most of us, however, it could have been better Yes, this is NOT the latest Kindle Fire HD. A lot of people were waiting for a Kindle Fire HD Cyber Monday sale. But then, a lot of us also predicted that there will be no Black Friday or Cyber Monday deals on the latest models of tablets or cell phones, but that the deals would most likely be on the older models. Older models would be like the one that is on sale with this Cyber Monday Deal. We saw the same with the iPad also where Walmart gave a massive $75 gift card with the purchase of a iPad 2, but not iPad 3 or 4.
Is the Kindle Fire Cyber Monday Deal Any Good?
Short answer: Good deal!
Why? Because even if there are a few deficiencies on certain hardware specs, there are no limitations when it comes to accessing the awesome Amazon content. No tablet is good without content. With the Kindle Fire (HD or not), you get access to possibly the BEST Content Ecosystem out of all tablets!
Long answer: see below
There are both Pros and Cons to this Cyber Monday Deal! For some users, this will be awesome, for others, not so awesome.
Let’s look at the GOOD about this Kindle Fire Cyber Monday Deal
- Price tag: it’s only $129. I’m sure we all agree that’s a positive thing
- Amazon content ecosystem: Even if there are a few shortcomings on the hardware aspect, you still get access to the FULL Amazon content ecosystem. That’s all the books, all the music, all the movies, all the TV shows, all the Kindle Fire apps (games, kids, education, cooking, etc. etc.) So that’s a GREAT positive!
- Processor: This is NOT EXACTLY the 1st generation Kindle Fire. This was a slightly boosted model with the processor and RAM same as the new Kindle Fire HD. It has 1.2GHz of processing power and 1GB RAM. On the OLD model, it was only 0.5GB of RAM, so this is supposed to be 40% faster than the original model that came out in 2011.
- What type of users: The 1st generation Kindle Fire has 3 main limitations. If they don’t matter to you, then you’re the type of user that it suits. If this is for a young child, it’s a good deal; if it’s for you and you don’t plan on using it for video chatting it’s a great cyber Monday deal; if you have no intention of storing 6-7 movies on the Kindle Fire at the same time, it works great; if you’re planning on using it to check email, browse the web, do some Sudoku, crossword puzzle on your way to work on the train, it works just fine!
Convinced? Go here for the Cyber Monday Deal right now and grab it before it is sold out
OK, now for the BAD about this Kindle Fire on sale today
As mentioned earlier, it has 3 main limitations and they’re as follows. These may be important for some, but unimportant for others. Which category do you think you belong to?
- No camera: if you were planning on using this for video chat, sorry, this is not going to work. But if you were planning on buying this for your 7 year old for educational games (and some real games), he doesn’t need a camera.
- 8GB storage: vs 16GB in the new model. It’s the HD movies that suck up a lot of the storage. Because this model doesn’t have a HD display, non-HD movie files are much smaller and will work fine as long as you don’t want to store 10 movies on the Kindle Fire. Once you’re done watching them, you can let them be in the cloud and download them only when you want to watch ‘em
- No HD display: it’s still a very good resolution. Its 169 pixels per inch (PPI) is better than the resolution on the iPad 2 (132 PPI). However both the new Kindle Fire HD and new iPad have PPI values higher than 200.
There are some other ‘shortcomings’ too! But we don’t think those should make or break your decision. The new Kindle Fire HD has Blue tooth, has about 2 hours of extra battery life, is slightly thinner and lighter, has ~25% less glare (matters only if you take it outdoors), has the X ray feature for movies etc. etc. It would certainly have been nice to have all these on the Old Kindle Fire that’s on sale, but these 2nd tier of features are not essential for most users in our opinion.
So your decision should be based on the 3 main limitations about camera, storage and HD display. If those doesn’t matter to you, you should grab the Kindle Fire Cyber Monday Deal while it lasts!